top of page
Saltley College.jpg

Saltley College

Saltley College was an ecclesiastical college for the training of the clergy. Post-war, the College had Memorial Plaques erected to the men who had died who either attended the College or had been teachers there.  The listing below gives the men who appeared on the Memorial Plaques AND who had lived in Aston.

This is work in progress and the listing will be made available as soon as possible.

Background

The College opened in 1852 as the Worcester, Lichfield & Hereford Diocesan Training College, latterly being called the Saltley Church of England College. It started with around 30 trainee teachers, but this rose significantly over time.  Initially for teacher training only, it opened its own school in 1853, at which time it had two classrooms, one teacher and 185 boys. Both the College and  School were renames St Peter's.  The College and school were located on the junction of College Road and Bridge Road. 

 

 

bottom of page